Star Trek Beyond- the countdown begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek Beyond- the countdown begins

I'm not the sort to print a retraction. Ever. But I've been thinking about this one for a few months and I realize I really do owe someone an apology.

Among my blog posts here at SyfyDesigns I currently have nearly 6000 views on my Star Trek Into Darkness movie review. I had already written a teeny tiny apology (1400 views) before I saw STID after I ripped JJ Abrams for blowing up Vulcan (currently over 17,000 views now), and then I got all snitty over STID.

This last June, two years to the day of writing my STID movie review, I experienced a mind flip that drove me through an entire month of Khan obsession. Followers on blogger got to observe my Sherlock-Khanlock-Khirk transition, and next thing you know, Neo/Khan was a huge thing, and once I smash fandoms, that's a clear sign I'm hooked.

I'm not going to rewrite an STID review, and you've got all the links to my thoughts on alt Khan being integrated into new Trek, so I'll just put it out there that I think STID is hands down the most perfect Star Trek movie ever made. Ever. I did some deep reading on the directors taking their time with their own fan obsessions, working on details many of us miss because we don't have the time or money to pursue the entire scope of fandom merch that includes backstory and continuing story, and judging alt new stuff against decades long fan love wasn't fair at all. Snarking is fun sometimes, but a truly great work of art needs silence and awe.

I still detest the logic fallacies of Nero, red matter, Kirk being born in space, and Vulcan being blown up (out of a much longer list we don't need to suffer through again), but I can see where this franchise is going, and to put it as simply as possible- PINKY APPROVES. I'm thrilled the franchise is being continued, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the next director does with it, holding my breath at every bit of news that comes out.

Star Trek Beyond

This logo clicks to a rumor / possible spoiler.

A little light reading for those of you who need to catch up.

How Roberto Orci Feels About Star Trek 3, Now That He's No Longer Directing It
    Why Justin Lin Is A Perfect Fit For 'Star Trek 3'
    Justin Lin Talks ‘Star Trek Beyond,’ Teases New Villains, Confirms It’s an Original Story
    Star Trek 3: What We Know So Far
    Star Trek 3 Will Boldly Go Where No Star Trek Story Has Gone Before
    'Star Trek 3' director shares Starfleet logo and movie title

Justin Lin IMDB

And in case you didn't have a clue, there's MOAR.

The Next Generation of Star Trek Should Be a TV Show

My own post regarding two other new Trek shows-
    Star Trek be going all Renegades on the Horizon
    Last edited by Pinky; 07-28-2015, 04:49 PM.
    790: You're wasting your energy attempting to force my cooperation.
    I have no sense of self-preservation and I can always be reassembled.

Who does this???

Latest new thing in movie making? Now's YOUR chance to win a walk-on role in Star Trek Beyond.

Click pic for official website.

Comment

I left this thread dangling and the final countdown is upon us. I'm seeing a little consternation on the twitters about the trailers coming out this week, so I'm copying the Trek part of what I wrote in Pinky blog this morning.

You guys know I'm a huge Jim Kirk fan. (Over 17,000 views on that now, thanx guys.) Pinky totally approves the direction Star Trek Beyond is going in. Remember, my fave ST series is Enterprise, so I know all the pre-stuff, plus I was the one who brought you the key timeline history through the comics to the Into Darkness movie. I spell it out in the second link here, but the first link inspired the work I put into it.
      the wrath of the search for spirk
      Things to Do on Your Phone When You Can't Sleep

I'll be very curious to see if the 'Frontier invasion motif' adds history to what comes after the Enterprise series. For old and new fans alike, let me remind you that the entire series rests on Vulcans first discovering humans in First Contact, and as we watch developments throughout the Enterprise pre-TOS history series, we see humans and Vulcans struggling with precedents and rules about noninterference and very accidental, very dangerous and destructive (to Earth!) involvement because there is a race out there that is greatly offended about humans showing up and exposing their secret design to control the galaxy, and they use time as a weapon in ways that not even Doctor Who could fix. Enterprise (the series) does a very nice job setting up for TOS, and since Justin Lin is a huge fan of the entire franchise, I really hope he continues this filling in bits of ST history.

Comment

Working...
      X